Sunday, January 8, 2012

SCG Open and Birthing Pod

Yesterday Starcity Games (http://www.starcitygames.com/) held one of their recurring open tournaments near where I live in Atlanta, Georgia. Unfortunately because it kind of snuck up on me, I didn't have the time to readjust my deck to the current meta. Ah well.

Just so you all know, here's what I'm playing right now; what I consider the be the most fun you can have in standard right now. Birthing Pod.

11 Forest
9 Swamp
3 Buried Ruin
1 Woodland Cemetary

4 Viridian Emissary
3 Perilous Myr
2 Phyrexian Rager
1 Glissa the Traitor
2 Solemn Simularcum
2 Phyrexian Metamorph
2 Skinrender
1 Entomber Exarch
2 Acidic Slime
1 Bloodgift Demon
1 Precursor Golem
1 Grave Titan
1 Massacre Wurm
2 Wurcoil Engine
1 Sheoldred, the Whispering One

2 Mortarpod
1 Doom Blade
1 Go For The Throat
2 Mimic Vat
4 Birthing Pod

SIDEBOARD
3 Spellskite
1 Go For the Throat
1 Doom Blade
2 Beast Within
1 Brindle Boar
2 Sylvok Replica
1 Thrun the Last Troll
1 Kessig Cagebreakers
1 Acidic Slime
1 Grave Titan
1 Black Sun's Zenith

Some interesting choices, eh? I'll run you through some of them.

Not enough duals. Mostly because I haven't acquired a set yet. I'm working on it.
I'm not playing Bant-Pod, which is widely considered to be the best Pod archetype. I can't afford that mana-base.
No mana dorks. When I built the deck, it was because my local meta was swarmed with Red Deck Wins and Mono-Black Infect. Gut Shot, Geistflame, Virulent Wound. Basically, playing mana dorks in my local meta wasn't an asset, it was a liability. They would almost never be relevant.
So I cut them. Added more threats. It's actually worked out better in my opinion. Yes, I have less explosive starts, but I feel I have better late game because I have more late game. Try it out if you play Pod.

Viridian Emissary. 4 of in any pod deck. No question.
Perilous Myr. This is pretty good in any Pod deck, but I added a bunch of these guys after the first week I tested this build an opponent played a Mirran Crusader. Owch. This guy helps stem the tide of inevitable failure against Mirran Crusader.
Mortarpod. I have a lot of Aggro in my environment, this is amazing against them. It also has hilarious synergy with my large amount of Deathtouch creatures. I've also gotten into some amazing scenarios with them like having a Mortarpod out when I have a Wurmcoil imprinted onto a Mimic Vat.
So. Tasty.
Glissa the Traitor: I have enough artifacts that she's frequently relevant. Sometimes I cast her just to buy myself some breathing room. You'd be surprised how many decks get shut down by a first strike deathtoucher. Or maybe not.
Mimic Vat. I want some more value. This provides it. I tend to take it out more often than other cards, but it does some amazing (and sometimes winmore) things.

Solemn Simulacrum. Sad Robot. At least 2 of in every pod deck. No questions.
Phyrexian Metamorph. Again, this is an auto-include in any Pod deck. If you're not Metamorphing, you're not doing it right.
Bloodgift Demon. I realized I didn't have much game against decks with loads of flyers (Tempered Steel, for example). This helps that, and it's a great way to pick off enemy Planeswalkers.
Precursor Golem. Another guy that comes out a lot, but is good when it needs to be. There's quite a few decks that don't have the removal to properly remove one of these guys.
Massacre Wurm, Wurmcoil Engine, Grave Titan, Sheoldred. I really hope these are all self-evident.

Spellskite mostly comes in against Wolf Run. Ideally, it stalls me a few turns against the eponymous card while I get my fatties out. And my fatties are much scarier than theirs.
Brindle Boar is against RDW. The best case scenario is you clone it with a Metamorph or imprint it on a Mimic Vat. They don't stand a chance.
Sylvok Replica. Against Tempered Steel.
Thrun. Against counter-heavy decks. He's less than ideal to be honest, since Pod decks tend to tap out almost every turn, which doesn't leave me much room to regenerate Thrun.
Kessig Cagebreakers. Comes in against decks that play the waiting game. Attacking for 18 split across half a dozen plus creatures tends to wrap games up in a hurry.

And thems the basics of my Pod deck. Let me know what you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment