Sunday, February 26, 2012

Monster Making, Part 3

Disclaimer: This article contains custom card designs. If you are a Wizards of the Coast employee you have my full permission to use any designs or ideas within this article without my explicit written consent or prior knowledge, or without giving me any sort of credit. I love this game and I want to help it in any way I can.

YEAH, ZOMBIES!!

Here we are at part 3 of 3 of my series of Skaab designs. The first time, I showed off some Vorthosian ideas. Next were some more bottom-up (mechanic first) designs. This week, I'm going to show you some ways to tie them all together; ways to get cards into your graveyard.

Let's get started!
 
Mill Windfall. Simple enough. I added Flashback, because I didn't think the original card offered enough to be playable alot off the time.

 I like Moroii. I like designing Moroii like monsters. Here's one that mills. Part of me wants to make this UB so it mirrors Moroii better.
 Honestly, I thought of the punny name, and was just looking for a place to stick it. I think Mark Rosewater would be proud. Man loves his puns.
 Inverted Gravedigger. I'm genuinely surprised this has never been done before.

I had actually forgotten about Corpse Connoisseur when I designed this, I just wanted a mirrored Gravedigger.
Art by Dermot Power.
Shrug.
Not sure what to say here.
Again, I thought I was being clever when I came up with this, but Morality Shift is already a thing. ):
Aw well, I like the flavor.

 We've seen that Innistrad has some manner of insane asylums. I wanted to see what kind of person would live there.
I must say, I've grown rather fond of this design. I might have to make a cycle out of it...
Boosh.How ya like them apples?

The first design I came up with when designing self-mill cards for this article. It occured to me that blue-black doesn't have a bevy of self-mill enabling generals despite being in one of the best positions to abuse the mechanic.

I'm rather pleased with these cards, though I will say that coming up with blue-self milling cards was a lot easier than the other colors. I might have to make a part 4 some day with some non-blue cards.

Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment